The Town Clerk is the Proper Officer of the Council and as such is under a statutory duty to carry out all the functions, and in particular to serve or issue all the notifications required by law of a local authority’s Proper Officer. The Town Clerk will be totally responsible for ensuring that the instructions of the Council in connection with its functions as a Local Authority are carried out.
The Town Clerk is expected to advise the Council on, and assist in the formation of, overall policies to be followed in respect of the Authority’s activities and in particular to produce all the information required for making effective decisions and to implement constructively all decisions. The person appointed will be accountable to the Council for the effective management of all its resources and will report to them as and when required.
In effect, the Town Clerk’s role is equivalent to that of Chief Executive.
1. To ensure that statutory and other provisions governing or affecting the running of the Council are observed.
2. Responsible Financial Officer – responsibility for monitoring and balancing the Council’s accounts and prepare records for audit purposes and VAT.
3. To ensure that the Council’s obligations for Risk Assessment are properly met.
4. To prepare, in consultation with appropriate members, agendas for meetings of the Council and Committees. To attend such meetings and to either prepare or oversee the preparation of the minutes of those meetings for approval.
5. To attend all meetings of the Council and all meetings of its committees and sub-committees, other than where such duties have been delegated by the Clerk or Council to another Officer.
6. To receive correspondence and documents on behalf of the Council and to deal with the correspondence or documents or bring such items to the attention of the Council. To issue correspondence as a result of instructions of, or with reference to the known policy of the Council.
7. To develop the annual budget in conjunction with the Responsible Finance Officer and to oversee Council’s expenditure.
8. To study reports and other data on activities of the Council and on matters bearing on those activities. Where appropriate, to discuss such matters with administrators and specialists in particular fields and to produce reports for circulation and discussion by the Council and or its Committees.
9. To draw up both on his/her own initiative and as a result of suggestions by Councillors, proposals for consideration by the Council and to advise on practicability and likely effects of specific courses of action.
10. To keep abreast of new legislation, ensuring Council is fully informed of new opportunities and legal requirements of legislation, including the Localism Act.
11. To supervise other members of staff as their line manager in keeping with the policies of the Council.
12. To oversee the maintenance and safety of all existing sites owned or leased by the Council.
13. To negotiate the purchase or lease of premises, acting on resolutions and on behalf of Council.
14. To develop relationships with outside bodies and organisations to facilitate partnership working.
15. To monitor the implemented policies of the Council to ensure they are achieving the desired result and where appropriate, suggest modifications.
16. To respond to consultation documents from local and central government and other relevant bodies on behalf of and by resolution of Council.
17. To act as the representative of the Council as required.
18. To issue notices and prepare agendas and minutes for the Parish Meeting: to attend the assemblies of the Parish Meeting and to implement proposals made at the assemblies that are agreed by the Council.
19. To prepare, in consultation with the Town Mayor, press releases about the activities of, or decisions of, the Council.
20. To attend training courses or seminars on the work and role of the Clerk.
21. To act as Designated Premises Supervisor and a Personal License holder for any premises for which the Council holds a premises license.
22. To act as Clerk to the Trustees of the Gaskell Recreation Ground Charity of which all Town Councillors are Trustees.